Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Book Review: Misery Loves Company by Rene Gutteridge



I recently read the book Misery Loves Company by Rene Gutteridge.  Tyndale House sent me the book for the opportunity to review. 

Misery Loves Company is about  Jules Belleno, a blogger and unpublished writer, who's husband, Jason, was killed in a 'random' shooting, causing Jules to become fairly recluse.  When she's kidnapped by her favorite author, Chris, her husband's old partner goes searching, uncovering a web of deception surrounding Jason's death that puts him and those close to him in danger. As Chris tracks down countless leads in attempts to find her, Jules must unravel the rantings of the man holding her captive and try to stay alive long enough to be found. 

I did like this book. I found that Gutteridge kept me guessing until the end to the reasons of Jules Belleno's kidnapping.  She has a talent for leading the character along with the reader to discover the truth.  I also liked that her characters were flushed out, revealing strengths and weaknesses alike; also changing as the story progressed in their faith and relationships.

Perhaps if there was anything about the book that I didn't like was the confusing rants of the author throughout and was often impatient to get to the truth of his ramblings sooner.  However, this is a personal preference and I realize that the author used his vague talk to bring the story along.  I also wish I could have seen more how the investigation was wrapped up and potentially who all was involved.

Overall, it was an easy read and a well-written book.  I think anyone with a love for a little suspense and mystery would like this book.