Monday, October 3, 2011

Cleaning Trial Runs




So I was looking at a bunch of cute baby things I could make online and I ran across this blog. The pregnant mommy was talking about how she had switched awhile ago to 'natural' cleaning products so that she didn't have to worry about cleaning while pregnant and her kiddos around. That struck a cord. I'm not a fan of cleaning but I REALLY hate breathing in that potent smells and trying to keep Emmett out of the room while I do it. I can't clean EVERYTHING while he's taking his short naps. :) (Our apt. has really gone downhill since pregnancy because I don't feel safe cleaning it well.)

When I say natural, I'm not talking about cleaning products that are way overpriced and claim to be safe. I'm talking about the stuff you find in the kitchen. Even though I'm sure my mom used the age old vinegar, baking soda, etc. tricks, I feel like I grew up a generation that believes mostly in buying things such as Lysol Kitchen, Clorox, soft soap, etc. items. And that's the only way to clean.... or maybe its just me... either way...

Not anymore!! :O) My trial run was this morning in my kitchen. To my surprise and great joy, white vinegar, water, a lemon, and baking soda did the trick for everything (from cabinets, to microwave, counter tops, to grease stains!!). And Emmett got to help me wipe down the cabinets so he could be my big helper!!!

Tomorrow is the bathrooms so we'll see. They say it even works on soap scum but I'm a skeptic so I can't wait to find out.



Here's two great sites if anyone is interested :O)

http://eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm

http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/latest/green-cleaning-spring-cleaning-460303


~Olive


P.S. The bathroom cleaning trial went great too!!! I used toilet bowl cleaner just because we had some left to use but for the most part everything else was vinegar, baking soda, and water!!!! Emmett was, once again, my big helper!!!! I think he wished we had more toilets in our apt. uck!