I'm not 100% Em ever really said those typical first words of 'ma' or 'da'... at least said them and knew what they meant but his vocabulary is growing slowly recently.
He of course knows 'yeah, yeah, yeah' and 'no, no, no' when had needs to use them (and usually properly). He understands when I say 'look', now. When I say ask him if he's 'ready to go?" he usually goes to the door and tries to open it.
New words are 'pizza, pizza!' (though it applies to all foods, not just pizza) as well as
'Ke Cat' (which applies to all animals, not just the kitty cat). He picked the 'kitty cat' words up at my parents house because my mom was calling them over so he could pet them. Now, whenever he says the words he sticks his hand out and tries to snap his fingers to get those silly kitty cats to come over to him! Oh to cute. He's such a little imitator :O)
~Olive