Opening Note: this is not eloquent at all... just ramblings from my head for the day :)
In January, I started this 'Through the Bible in 365 Days' Bible. For turning 30! this year, I have actually never done this before. I have to admit most times the old testament is a little intimidating because of genealogies, the laws, etc. Nor does it often excite me when I consider reading it.
I decided to try a different version of the Bible as well. While I don't have too many issues understanding the KJV, I thought since I'd be going through the old testament it might help to have something slightly more 'common language'. I didn't want to lose accuracy however (that's so important) so I asked people I respected what version they preferred and did a little research on the right translation for me that still kept to the original writings.
All that to say, I'm loving going through the Bible in this format (365 day and in a different translation). I'm learning things from the OT I didn't know before (while Leviticus is a little difficult at times right now :) and I'm even learning some NT things that the Lord is revealing to me.
THE Name
So to get to the point. Today's reading in Leviticus told of a Israelite woman and Egyptian man's son who got into an altercation with another man and in the fighting that commenced he essentially took the Lord's name in vain. The people weren't sure what to do so they locked the man in chains until Moses could tell them what God's judgement was on this man.
First off, it struck me that, while we all know we are not supposed to blaspheme God's name, I mean, its pretty much a given as a Christian that God's name is sacred, they put this man in chains for doing it! That's HOW important and sacred God's name is.
Many of you might know the story. Maybe not. Do you know what happened to this man? He was stoned by the entire congregation! Basically put to death. This is the same sentence that God lays out in the same chapter for someone who kills another human. You kill someone = you are put to death. You take the Lord's name in vain = put to death.
It seems so extremely harsh but I think it resounded with me while reading that 1) we often take so little thought to our words, when Proverbs mentions numerous time about a foolish man and a wise man in context to what proceeds out of their lips. 2) God is so 'God' (for a lack of a better word coming to my head) that even His NAME is holy and to speak against it is no different than taking 'up arms' against our Lord. It is a very serious thing.
To sum up God's reveal for today, it opened my eyes to something that is VERY serious to God but that is so commonly done in society. Hopefully the Holy Spirit can use this reveal to prompt my heart and my lips when I hear others using His name so disrespectfully.
~Olive