I was on a mission last week to make bread. I was going to do it from scratch. From helping my in-laws it surely didn't seem that difficult-- in fact, I was very impressed out easy it was. So I thought, we'll save money and just make our own. hmmm..... my in-laws must have that special touch.
After trying to make a honey wheat bread twice and it not rising an inch, I was about ready to give up. I had decided after the first attempt that maybe it would still bake okay-- not wonderful, but edible. So I tried. Popeye and I joked, but in all seriousness it was like Veronica from the Archie Comic Books had cooked. It literally was a rock after they cooled. We should have taken the opportunity to play some baseball outside. My second attempt I did not bother baking them.
My third attempt was cinnamon rolls. A completely different recipe and new hope. They didn't look anything like cinnamon rolls. These things are globs of cinnamon, sugar, and dough in a pan. It kept sticking (and I did use a ton of flour!!!) to my counter top. They did end up tasty but looking horribly.
In all my days of baby expecting, I never thought once that I'd get weepy over bread. It wasn't working. It wasn't working at all. Three attempts in two days.... wayyyyy too many dishes I had to wash, wayyyyyy to much flour and yeast used. I called Matthew. WE NEED A BREAD MACHINE. He wasn't so sure.
Still determined and less weepy I went to the local consignment shop the next day where I had seen a bread machine. I didn't want to spend a lot if it wasn't going to work. We had a little bit of a store credit there anyway.
God was good. The bread machine I had seen was originally $20 only the week before but apparently it wasn't selling. They marked it down to $8. I don't know a thing about bread machines but this one came with instructions and recipes so I bought it. :O)
I love my bread machine! I only use it to make the dough and then I do the rest, but its been great!!! We've had Honey Wheat Bread, Cinnamon Rolls, and as I type French Bread is being kneaded for supper. :O) yummy.