Thursday, May 29, 2008

Scary New Realization

So with the moving comes a lot of unexpected 'chores'. Popeye and I don't get the paper at our apt. Never really thought about it much. He sees CNN at work during his break and I listen to Fox News now and then during mine- enough to keep up on things. So when I started packing up the plates and needed newspaper.. let's just say I have to pay for boxes, I'm NOT paying for newspaper. So...... I went 'dumpster' diving. When I say dumpster, I mean recycling ben which I try to reason in my mind as being cleaner than a dumpster but regardless the dishes will all be washed when they come out of storage.

The scary realization however is that I loved looking through what I got. (Mind you, I NEVER when in daylight. It was usually close to midnight and I just grabbed what I could and left!) I actually found some GREAT stuff. For instance... some lady threw away a 'gift card' that had been sent to her for $10 off at Kohls during a short time frame. The next day was the last day it was good and it just so happened I had to go anyway. The 'gift card' had no minimum purchase required (just the kind I love!). I ended up walking out of Kohls with a new shirt and belt and a present for someone at a whopping $.49. Thanks to 'dumpster' diving.

Not to mention all the great coupons I find in the paper (which I'd get if we bought the paper anyway) but I didn't have to. And... slightly old but completely good catalogs that I don't mind sitting back and glancing through briefly for free.

Okay, so Popeye would probably not want to me to make this a regular habit. And true, it's a little embarrassing to admit that yes, I really enjoyed it and its very, very tempting to go back again. Interestingly enough to say, the bag lady Halloween costume from long, long ago was apparently NOT that far off. -Olive